Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Snowman Soup

Good morning! I recently posted pictures on my personal Facebook page of a project my two oldest kids and I put together for their classmates. I received several requests for instructions on how to make our "Snowman Soup." 
Individual baggie


First, let me start by telling you how we came about putting this project together. As we are drawing closer to Winter break, festivities are being planned for most classrooms across the U.S. Our school is no different. My son's teacher sent a note home letting parents know each child would have a stocking and the parents and kids were welcome to send a little treat in to share. 


The wheels in my brain immediately started turning and I set out on an internet search to find something easy and cheap to make. Between the older two kids classes, there are 40 students. I found several good ideas, but I fell in love with the Snowman Soup idea. It is simple enough to put together, yet, I still feel like it is just enough to put a smile on any child's face.


19 completed bags


I bet you are antsy to get started! Here we go!

Materials needed:


8.5” x 11”~110# White Cardstock
Sandwich Baggie Fold Over Card Template (2 cards per sheet) 
For personal use only
Zip Top Sandwich Baggies
Candy Canes
Hershey Kisses
Marshmallows
Individual Hot Cocoa Mix Packets
Scissors or Paper cutting tool
Stapler


For 40 students, I used 4 boxes of 12-count candy canes with 8 canes left over, 2 bags of the green, red, silver Hershey kisses combo, 1 bag of marshmallows (we used approx 1/2 a bag), and 4 boxes of 10 count Swiss Miss cocoa packets. 


Preview of the baggie card. You can download it through the link in the materials list above.
Instructions:


Print and cut out as many fold-over cards as you need. I chose to use cardstock since it is sturdy, but I’m sure regular paper will work as well. 

Place in each bag- one candy cane, a few kisses (I did 3), a few marshmallows (I did 6) and a packet of hot cocoa mix.

Take your baggie cards and fold in half along using the light gray guide.

Take one completed baggie and center inside one of the folded cards. Staple twice along the top, make sure not to stable below the zippered part of the baggie. Staple again one each side of the cards.

Repeat with each of the baggies you have left.

Voila! You now have a cute treat for your child’s class.\

A quick breakdown of what I paid.


Individual
8.5” x 11”~110# White Cardstock
$0.06
Sandwich Baggie Fold Over Card Template (2 cards per sheet)
$0
100 count Zip Top Sandwich Baggies
$0.01
Candy Canes
$0.08
Hershey Kisses
$0.05
Marshmallows
$0.003
Individual Hot Cocoa Mix Packets
$0.128


$0.33
Each bag cost roughly $0.33 cents to make and the total 40 bags cost around $13.24 with supplies left over.


1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea! I think I might do this for my daughter's Christmas party in kindergarten this year. Plus it's great because I can get started on it now (as opposed to homemade cookies) which I like! <3 Coco Cana from My Tales From The Crib. http://mytalesfromthecrib.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete