Monday, May 6, 2013

Getting Things Ready

There has been an abundance of activity around our house for the last couple weeks. The hubby has been working hard to get things set up for our move, and I’ve been cleaning, organizing, and sorting through every closet, drawer, and room in our home. One thing I learned from living in Germany previously is the houses there do not have the same amount of storage space as many American homes do. We have begun the task of deciding what goes with us and what we will put into storage. It is becoming a bigger task than I expected, and our guest room is beginning to look like a battle ground.

I became a little obsessed with storage solutions the last time we were overseas. I have the bins and containers to prove it! This time, I have been planning and preparing ahead of time and trying to find new storage solutions for some of our basic, everyday things. I have found the removable Command hooks by 3M to be a fantastic product. I use them around the house for everything ranging from a place to hold the cords to the blinds, to a place to hang my towel in the bathroom. Coincidentally, I first came to love the hooks when we first lived in Germany. The hooks are one thing I’ll be stocking up on prior to the move. I have a healthy stash already, but I’m sure I can find more great uses for them. Plus, it doesn’t hurt to have extra on hand. 

If you ever find yourself being stationed in Germany (or anywhere else overseas), do not be afraid to put things into storage. Trust me, especially if it is something you do not use on a regular basis. Research the area you will be going to. Seek out forums devoted to the area you will be moving to. Chances are, you can ask questions directly to people who presently live there and get a better idea of the type of living spaces you will be looking at. Moving overseas can be a scary idea, but being prepared can help make the transition a little bit smoother. I am hoping to get the opportunity to post as we are going through this process. We were once in the position of being completely clueless as to what we were doing. With any luck, I can pass on what I’ve learned, and make the move a little easier for someone else.

2 comments:

  1. What a small world that we're on the same base, and even in the same hotel! If you ever see me from afar please say hello, and vice versa :)

    I hope we didn't pack too much stuff! Sounds like we might have cuz we're used to American homes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a small world.:) I'm sure we are bound to cross paths at some point. We try to go on a walk every day, even if it is just up to check mail. We venture to the little playground sometimes as well.

    I am glad we were able to get lodging on post. :) Are you all having any luck finding a home? We have had a few bumps finding something suitable. We finally found something that will be comfortable for our family.

    You might be alright with what you packed. :) My biggest problem last time was my roasting pans, and a baking pan not fitting in our oven. We also put our bedroom entertainment center in storage, and some toys my oldest daughter has grown out of, but my youngest daughter isn't ready to play with. I think my husband put a bunch of tools in storage as well. I can't even remember now, and it was only at the end of May that we packed out.

    Anyway, I hope you have a great day! If you have any questions about things, feel free to ask! I will do my best to help. :)

    ReplyDelete